COMMERCIAL TRUCK DRIVER
Come work for a cause you can believe in – at an organization that will believe in you! Lakeview Pantry is looking for a Commercial Truck Driver.
As the largest food pantry in Chicago, Lakeview Pantry’s vision is to be a stable and trusted resource for low-income residents in our communities. Our approach focuses on both meeting the immediate hunger needs of our clients and working on longer-term solutions to address the root causes of hunger.
We do this through emergency food assistance and social service programming for our neighbors throughout Chicago (in 40+ zip codes across the city) at multiple physical sites as well as through an Online Market and Home Delivery Program.
Lakeview Pantry serves over 150,000 individuals through more than 50,000 site visits and partnerships with other community organizations, distributing 4 million meals each year. This year, more than 3,000 low-income neighbors will also receive case management and social services.
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Commercial Truck Driver is responsible for operating a 26-foot commercial vehicle and utilizing our company vans for delivering food donations/pickups for Lakeview Pantry while ensuring a high level of customer service to donors and partners.. The Commercial Truck Driver will spend their time navigating between our Lakeview Pantry sites as well as partner locations for drop off and pick up of food.
- Operate a commercial truck/van to pick up and deliver to Lakeview Pantry locations around the Chicagoland area in an efficient, timely and safe manner, and in accordance with all local, state, and federal regulations
- Maintain, load and unload food pallets, and other donations, weighing up to 1000 pounds using electric pallet jacks, or using manual carts and dollies for smaller donations
- Maintain cleanliness and sanitation of assigned vehicles, including completion of pre-trip and post-trip vehicle maintenance and safety checklists
- Prepare and maintain accurate records of all pickup and delivery transactions; enter transactions into our database
- Manage a group of key donors, including all aspects of the relationship (receiving, pick up, monitoring food quality/quantity.)
TOP CANDIDATES WILL HAVE:
- High school diploma/GED or equivalent work experience.
- Proven driving experience and certification required:
- 1-2 Years of Class C vehicle major city driving experience, preferably in the Chicagoland area.
- Valid State of Illinois Commercial Driver’s License-Class C
- Valid DOT card
- Clean driving record for past three years
- Ability or willingness to learn to operate material handling equipment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills for coordination with donors, staff and partner agencies.
- Ability to obtain and maintain food service sanitation certification.
- Ability to lift/move a minimum of 50 pounds of food between equipment and vehicles.
- Ability to move pallets of food weighing up to 1,000 pounds with an electric pallet jack.
- Willingness to submit to periodic substance/drug screening based on a random unannounced selection process required by IL DOT.
- Ability to climb and move in and out between equipment and vehicles with ease.
- Ability to work a Tuesday-Saturday schedule including occasional evening hours and additional weekend hours as needed.
- An understanding of, and belief in, the importance of food security for everyone.